In 2010 the BSI (British Standards Institution) issued the first BS 8580 standard, constructed primarily for those undertaking Legionella risk assessments. According to Government reports there were an estimated 814 cases of legionnaires’ disease since January- December 2018, hence demonstrating a requirement for change to better control outbreak. This blog will therefore go over the necessary changes most important to your organisation.
One of the most significant changes is in relation to the coherency of risk assessors and the actual risk assessment reports; thus, the process should be simpler to follow with lesser jargon to ensure understandable and clear flow of work. Within the standard, section 8 ‘Evaluation of Risk’ and section 10 ‘Risk Review and Reassessment’ have been reworked to improve the clarity of requirement. These changes should therefore make it clearer of risk assessors’ requirements and include more information on humidifiers, vehicle wash systems and thermal processing of food.
It is also notable that the standard has included an updated name to highlight the changes to BS 8580-1. On the BSI a track changes document is available for download, to thus highlight more specifically where the updates exist and what it means to risk assessment operations. The updated name was also derived as the drafting panel felt necessary to include a specific risk assessment standard for Pseudomonas as BS 8580-2. Thus, considering the pathogen found in soil, water and plants which is also a cause of infection for humans.
Therefore, for anyone responsible for management of water systems, the revised BS 8580-1 standard provides all recommendations and guidance on conducting Legionella risk assessments. Thus, improving the safety and reducing the risk of legionella outbreak, and hopefully significantly decreasing the number of recorded cases of legionella’s disease outbreak.
Updates to the Standard
- Now aligns with the HSE ACoP L8 (4th edition) (Approval Code of Practice) and HSG 274 (revised in 2014)
- HSE separated the ACoP from the guidance
- Guidance developed by industry groups as Health and Safety Guidance (HSG) 274 (Legionnaires’ disease, Technical guidance) Parts 1, 2 and 3
- HSG 274 Part 1 – cooling towers
- HSG 274 Part 2
- – hot and cold water services
- HSG 274 Part 3 – other systems
- All of which include a recommended inspection frequency
Velappity can help you adhere to BS8580 (-1) – find out more with an online demonstration
- BSI (2019). BS 8580-1: 2019. Full report found here: https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030367524
- BSI (2019). BS 8580-1:2019- Tracked Changes. Online available at: https://shop.bsigroup.com/ProductDetail/?pid=000000000030390888
- Public Health England (2018) Monthly Legionella Report. December 2018: National surveillance scheme for legionnaires’ disease in Residents of England and Wales. Online available at: (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/776445/Monthly_LD_Report_December_18.pdf)